The recommendations outlined in this document by the OHSAA are meant to decrease potential exposure to respiratory droplets by encouraging social distancing, limiting participation in administrative tasks to essential personnel and allowing for appropriate protective equipment.
Note: Even when taking all precautions, there will still be risk of transmitting illnesses. Everyone should stay vigilant about the health of members of their teams. Lastly, the situation with Covid-19 is rapidly changing and the protocols outlined in this document may quickly become outdated.
Preparing to Play
- At the start of every practice or match, Coaches will confirm that players and coaches do not have a fever, cough, sore throat, come into contact with anyone with covid 19 and do not have a temperature above 100.4. All players and coaches will complete the Monitoring Form
- Wash your hands with hand sanitizer after coming off the court.
- Arrive as close as possible to when you need to be there.
- Avoid touching court gates, fences, benches, etc., if you can.
- Sit in the 6′ designated player area before, during and after practices and matches. Team areas will be marked
- Social distancing must be adhered when entering and exiting the GHS tennis facility.
- Do not socialize before and after practices and match play.
- Always wear masks when you are not on the court.
- Bring your own water bottle and do not share with anyone at any time.
- Do not share tennis racquets, wristbands, hats or towels.
- Do not pick up tennis balls with your hands. Kick the balls to the net and gather with the basket.
- Use pre-marked on new tennis balls when serving during match play.
- No physical contact with other players during practice or match play. Shaking hands or high fives with other players is prohibited.
- Maintain 6′ social distancing at all times.
- Special attention should be made to not touch your face after handling a ball, racquet or other equipment.
- Avoid touching your face at all times. (Eyes, nose, mouth)
- Wipe down your racquet after practice and match play.
- When playing doubles, coordinate with your partner to maintain physical distancing.
- Use your racquet/foot to pick up balls and hit them to your opponent. Avoid using your hands to pick up the balls.
- Maintain physical distancing if changing ends of the court.
- Remain apart from other players when taking a break.
- If a ball from another court comes to you, send it back with a kick or with your racquet.
Although unlikely, it’s possible that a tennis ball can transmit the COVID-19 virus, as virtually any hard surface can transmit the disease. We are taking an extra precaution when playing tennis: Players will have two balls each. Player will mark their name/initials on their ball. Proceed with play, making sure to pick up your set of initialed balls only. Should a ball with the other name/initial wind up on your side of the court, do not touch the ball with your hands. Use your racquet head or feet to advance the ball to the other side of the court.
- Leave the court as soon as reasonably possible.
- Wash your hands thoroughly or use a hand sanitizer after coming off the court.
- Do not use the locker room or changing area. Shower at home.
- No congregation after playing.
- All players should leave the facility immediately after play.
- Spectators must self-assess for symptoms prior to entering the building; if any COVID-like symptoms are present such as a fever or trouble breathing, the spectator should not enter the building
- Spectators are expected to maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet from other spectators who do not live in their household while in the building, gymnasium and bleachers
- Spectators are required to wear face coverings while in the building, gymnasium and bleachers
- Concessions will not be available